I know you already think that SUU is pretty fantastic, who doesn’t? There are small class sizes, a cool library, The Globe Theatre, ghosts etc. But to me, it’s the little things like these that make SUU even cooler.
1. We have FREE Zumba classes for students! I went tonight and it was literally one of the best things in the world. Guys: the room was packed with girls. If you’re looking to meet someone, that’s the place to go. For those of you who don’t know what Zumba is, it’s exercise but fun. You dance, but do dance moves that are fun yet still get you strong. It’s the best way to exercise. Plus you get to learn some new dance moves so when you go to dances, you can do more than just hop up and down.
2. We have “Toilet Times”. These wonderful creations are in your stall in every bathroom on campus. When you’re sitting on the lou and don’t have much to do, you can look to your left or right and there should be a toilet times that you can read. It usually has what events are going on within the next week or so, fun facts (I have learned so much from the fun facts these past few years) and other cool things. It might sound weird to you now, but trust me, it’s awesome.
3. They are making a documentary on the “Old Sorrel” story of how SUU came to be. They shuttled anyone who wanted to go up today to watch them reenact the story. I wish I could have gone, but I went to class like the good student I am. But here’s a pretty cool picture of it.
(Whenever I think of this, I keep thinking of the line from the movie Holes “you must carry Madame Zeroni up the mountain” but that’s not important.)
4. We just got a new sushi place in our rotunda. I’m not a huge sushi fan, but I know some people are. Personally, I’m happy we have a Papa Johns because they have the best pizza in the world. Also T-Bird Grill has some pretty good fries. But getting a new sushi place is pretty cool, and I’ve heard it’s pretty tasty.
5. Gunther. We have a big rock sitting in the Business Quad that has been painted over a bazillion times. Clubs use it to advertise for activities they have coming up. This week, the Bronies club painting My Little Ponies on there because they have an activity soon. Apparently it used to be a lot smaller, but it got so many coats of paint that it started to grow bigger. Speaking of clubs, we have over 150 on campus.
6. “The Dancing Calves”. In the SUU Museum of Natural History, we have our very own two-headed calves. I wish I had a picture but I didn’t take one, and I can’t find one online. They were born here in Cedar, and due to radiation, they were stuck together. They didn’t even live once they were born. Sad story. But at the museum they also have cool rocks and other animals you can find in Southern Utah.
7. President Wyatt. Our school recently got a new president. He came to us from Snow College, and I’m so glad he joined us. When our school played Quidditch, he totally dressed up like Dumbledore. I couldn’t even tell that it was him when I saw him walking around. I was in such awe that Dumbledore was on our campus. Then someone told me it was him and I was in even greater awe that he would be that awesome to dress up as Dumbledore for the whole day.
Also here’s this cool video “What Would You do with an SUU Master Key?” starring him.
He’s pretty great. Plus, he’ll wave and say hi as you pass him on campus instead of ignore you like the people you kind of knew in high school.
It’s not always the big things that count. Sure, they do matter, and they’re great, but it’s the little things that bond us together as a school.